The photogenX Around The World Track :: love must win out
Prerequisites for the RTW Track
The photogenX "Around The World Track" is for those with a heart of adventure, a passion for justice, and a creative drive to learn photography for the purpose of community transformation. Through this course you will learning photography and have the opportunity to shoot around the world. You will visit places as diverse as the Amazon Jungle, the Sahara Desert and the Himalayan Mountains. You will get to study the Bible on the back of a camel or on a boat through the Middle East. You will study world culture not out of books but in the nations among the people. And most importantly you will use your camera to combat injustice and oppression in the world around you.
To sign up for the photogenX around the world track, you need to apply for the School of Photographic Communication 1
At the end of this adventure, you will:
1. Have enhanced your knowledge and understanding of photography and justice
2. A global photo portfolio
3. Have your work published in a photogenX publication
4. Acquire deeper understanding of discipleship, the Bible, world culture and worldview.
5. Have a whole lot of friends around the world!
2013-2014 Track Course Descriptions:
PHOTOGRAPHY, VIDEO AND MEDIA TRAINING
January 3 - Febuary 14, 2013
This course will elevate the student’s knowledge of photography from a basic to an intermediate level. The course will focus on documentary photography, photo journalism, technical aspects of photography and different topics of design. Within the course there will be opportunity to make different field trips through Central America. Location: Buenos Aires/Peru
6 WEEK FIELD ASSIGNMENT - Febuary 14 - March 28, 2013 (Location: Peru)
BREAK: March 28 - April 4 2013
HUMANITIES & SCIENCE: A JESUS PERSPECTIVE
April 4 - May 16, 2013
The worldview course will enable the students to engage with global world culture. Students will be given tools to be able to walk in every country on the planet and understand the history and the culture of the particular nation, as well giving an understanding of what God is already doing in the nation and how the students will be able to serve that. Location: Thailand
4 WEEK FIELD ASSIGNMENT - May 16 - June 9, 2013 (Location: Jakarta, Indonesia)
BREAK: June 9-23, 2013
2 WEEK CONVERGED STORY TELLING WORKSHOP - June 14 - July 5, 2013 (Location: Jakarta, Indonesia)
BREAK: June 9-23, 2013
BIBLICAL CORE COURSE
School of Media Advocacy 2
July 11 - Aug. 27, 2013
This course will use the countries of the Middle East as a classroom: Egypt, Israel, Turkey, Greece and even Rome. In addition to grasping an overview of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation and knowing how to study the Bible inductively the student will gain a living understanding as they experience the culture, geography and feel of the Biblical lands. Locations: Egypt, Israel, Turkey, and Greece. (Pauls Journey)
6 WEEK FIELD ASSIGNMENT - Aug.27 - Oct.3, 2013 (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
BREAK: Oct.3-10, 2013
School of Media Advocacy Outreach 2
As a program, we value development training. We will spend this entire course empowering students and staff into their giftings. We take 6 weeks at the end of the year long track to delve into leadership development and dialogue through various aspects of leadership in our society.
October 10 - November 21, 2013
Location: Capetown, South Africa
4 WEEK FIELD ASSIGNMENT - November 21 - December 19, 2013 (Location: student choice)
WRITING WORKSHOP AND DEBRIEF
PUBLICATION AND ADVOCACY CREATION
Mid Febuary - June, 2014
This time is for studying aspects of design, public speaking, publication creation, social marketing and web design. The students and staff will then begin campaigning for an issue of injustice.
Location: Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
How much will this RTW Track cost?
- Course fees, $3,900.00 USD per course, which breaks down to $1,300.00 USD per month. This includes food, accommodation, school fees and basic transportation.
- $1,000 non-refundable deposit is due December 1st, 2010 (these finances are used to accommodate start-up expenses, buy materials, and book accommodations).
- Personal expenses such as insurance, visas, immunizations, spending money and special travel - price variable
- Round the World Airfare (or however you want to travel) - price variable ($5,000-$6,000 for RTW Ticket typically)
- DTS lecture and outreach fees are variable dependent on where you do it. (For photogenX DTS and Outreach expenses please see the DTS information page.)
What to Bring